Your Nav Bar Here

Sunday 24 February 2013

Catch up on Lent!


Thursday, was the day to be more giving.  Generosity is something that many people overlook on a day to day basis, I can safely say that I am guilty of this. The challenge for Thursday was to get a jar and put small change into it each day, so I grabbed a nutella jar that was about to be recycled and put my change in that J I will be donating my money to Cancer research.



Friday, was an eventful day. I woke up in the morning with my right eye nearly shut, purple and puffed up. I went to the doctors, who gave me some eye drops, and antibiotics as it looked as if I had a bad stye. Coincidentally, today was also the day to care for those in need. “What does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?” Micah 6.8 . Later that night, I took a moment to say a quiet prayer to give thanks that I have access to free medical care, 24 hours a day whenever I need it, and to pray for those who don’t. Sometimes I feel incredibly guilty that I have this massive privilege and the majority of the world doesn’t.

Saturday, unfortunately I was not getting any better. I had started to have a reaction to the antibiotics I was given, and was in a great deal of pain. Saturday night I gave in, and went to an out of hours doctor, who took me off the antibiotics, and gave me some medication to settle my stomach. This meant that I was not able to do Saturdays task of planting seeds and caring for them as they grow, however, my mother Saturday morning had decided to clear out the greenhouse and start planting seeds for this year, so here are a couple of pictures I managed to get.




Monday I was feeling a little better. Today called for us to be more creative, as god-like as we can, as God loved to create, bring things to life. I have recently started a sewing project, as with university work taking up a great deal of my time, I needed to do something more creative, so here is a photo of what I have been making J


“Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground unperceived by your father”. Today called for us to be more mindful of caring for our world that god created, by turning the lights off in rooms that no one is using. Thankfully, I am already mindful of this, as my father watches me like a hawk, and if I don’t turn something off I certainly will know about it, so this challenge was quite easy for me J

Wednesdays challenge, was to be more loving. Never leave it to doubt for someone whether you love them or not. Unfortunately, both of my my parents health has been deteriorating as the days go by. I have experienced far too much heartache to ever for a second let them be doubtful as to my love for them. My daddy never lets me leave the house without a kiss from him, and every morning and night I tell my parents I love them and kiss them. Some may say, wow, you’re 22 and you still kiss your parents?! Why yes I do, and I am not ashamed, the love me and my parents share is unshakeable, and I wouldn’t change how I show my love for anyone. I am an incredibly loving person, and I always show my love for people, tell them I love them everyday, because you never know what tomorrow might bring. But telling people you love them is one thing, showing them is another, so never hold petty grudges, or argue over stuff, it just isn’t worth it. Love is the strongest emotion anyone can feel, and the magical thing is, it’s limitless! So tell the people you love that you love them, don’t tire of doing it, show it everyday, because love is easy to show, and it’s all that matters J

Thursday called for us to be more curious about the world. The monotony of every day life can grind anyone down, so taking time to wonder about the little things takes you back to the present here and now. I find often appreciating the little things does the trick. Ever think about more about why that person held the door open for you? Or why someone took the time to appreciate a nice message you left them? Or why the weather is so great on a certain day? Let your mind wander. you can come to some pretty great conclusions J

Friday was a day to be thankful. If you are ill, feeling upset, stuck on a question etc, it is very easy to carry on with whatever you are doing once someone has helped you. Taking time to thank someone, and mean it, is not only just a gracious act that you should do anyway, but will make that person feel better, rather than used. Friday I took the time to thank my mum for taking me somewhere to get some stuff that I needed. Although she needed to go to the same place anyway for herself, it was good of her to wait until I could go and take me. I was recently reminded of how being gracious and thanking people can help make their day just a little bit brighter. I had got to know a shop assistant in my local pharmacy quite well recently, she would go to great lengths to advise me on the best product, to ask how I am and how my family is doing. A few days later my dad came back from picking up his medications to find out that this womans son had recently passed away in an accident. I am sure that by me saying thankyou made very little difference to how horrible each day is for her, but it didn’t make it worse, by being arrogant, and selfish. You never know what is happening in every persons life that you encounter, so it is best to be as polite as possible J

Unfortunately, I did not do yesterdays challenge, which was to go outside and look at how pretty the world is, and appreciate it. I didn’t fancy the -2 temperature, and the on and off snow. However, earlier on I did go for a walk on a rare bright sunny day, so here is a picture of it  J




And now I am back up to date! I did contemplate giving up, but I thought it is better to be late than never. Hope whoever silently reads this is doing well in their lent endeavours, and if you aren’t doing lent, you should consider doing some of these challenges to make positive changes in your life J

0 comments:

Post a Comment